If you are bored playing five card stud poker and wants to make some easy money in a game you can learn, read this article to discover how to play Lowball Poker.
How to play Lowball Poker
The goal of Lowball poker is to make the lowest possible hand. The game is played with aces, eights, sevens, sixes and nines. This is actually the lowest possible hand made from the cards you can get. Since this is the lowest possible hand, this is also the strongest hand. This is also the most common type of poker, especially in middle and early positions.
Rules for the Game
- First, five cards must be dealt to each player. You will use two of your cards and three of the community cards to make the best hand that can beat all of the other hands.
- A player must use exactly two of his private cards and exactly three of the community cards to make the best hand.
- A player can fold. If a player folds, he forfeits all of his cards, and the game is over.
- The dominobet starts with the player making the first bet. The amount that the player can bet is determined by the rank of the card, i.e. Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.
- If nobody makes a bet, then the player making the best hand bet has to make the bet. If he wins, then the other player also wins, except for the player who made the best hand and bets twice.
- If the best hand is split or doubled by another player, then the next highest card that can be used to make a winning hand must be dealt, and so on.
- When a player knows that he has a very good hand, but does not want to raise, the player can always back off. Such players can be very dangerous, as they may have a good hand and be planning Insider Bet, which is a very dangerous move.
- When making hands, players must try to hit as many cards on the next card as possible. For example, if you hold two cards, and on the next card you have a 3, you should consider putting a bet on the next card, even if you do not have a good hand. This is also known as Continuation Betting.
- One of the most important seasons in Holdem is the flop. The flop is when the dealer turns over the three private cards in your hand. The most important things to consider when making decisions are:
Is the flop favorable?
What kind of hand and position is the flop playing?
How strong are your hand and position?
- There are many terms used in Holdem, some of which mean all hands, some of which mean just some of your hands, and others refer to a specific hand or a single player’s hand. confusion often occurs when players try to remember which hand refers to which category. If you play Texas holdem, you don’t want to be confusing, so use this chart and memorize it:
- Ace high: This hand is considered the best. If you have an Ace, an Ace, and another Ace, you have the best possible hand. Aces are the best starting hand.
- Low: This hand is not as strong as Ace high, and it’s the second best hand. It could be played similarly as Ace, King, Queen, Jack, and Ten.
- Medium: If you have three cards in the middle, you have a medium hand. Three cards from the middle like a 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, is the second best hand.
- High: If you have five cards in the middle, you have a high hand. The best possible hand is the five best cards.
The concept of hand ranks is not mathematical. They are intuitive, depending on your poker experience and memorization of the chart. When you look at the ranking list, you should know that a royal flush is the best hand and means 10, J, Q, K, A. The weakest hand is three of a kind, which is three cards the same, such as three Queens or three tens. A pair is two cards of the same number or face (eg. 3, 3, 3, 3, 7, 5). Three of a kind is three cards with the same number or face (eg. 3, 3, 3, 7, 5).
If you get lost while trying to memorize this list, you can look at the Poker Bible, by Mike Caro. This is a massive work, but if you are a beginner you can get a simplified version of the chart.